My little sister got married last week (wahoo! One week of marriage down. You go Mr. & Mrs. Dye!) and as the Matron of Honor, part of my responsibilities were to plan the Bachelorette Party. Every bride deserves a little parading around town, so my littlest sister, best friend of the bride, and I thought tutus would be a great fit. Since I was in Colorado and the other two were already in Arkansas, they started working on making Becca’s giant tutu. Then the thought of all of us also in tutus became the best idea.
We made them all by hand and although they took some time to make, they were so wonderfully fun, noticeable, and fancy. Let’s be honest, we all felt like Taylor Swift when she dances with the ballerinas!
The tutus were so easy to make! Next time you have a Halloween need, Bachelorette Party to plan, or general desire for a tutu, follow these easy steps to create your very own.
WHAT YOU NEED:
– Tulle (lots of tulle)
1. Decide how thick you want your tutu to be. We made the Bride’s tutu much thinker (and there for more poofy) by adding more tulle pieces and sliding them closer together. The other girls attending the party had tutus that were more spaced out.
2. Start cutting. Take the tulle from one arm to the other stretched out (this is between 5 -6 ft ish) and cut there. Use that to be your cutting template for all the tulle. Because you are tying these together, you want them to be similar in size or the skirts will be uneven.
3. Measure your waist with the ribbon and add some extra ribbon for tying a bow in the back. If you are making them for other people, take into account different sizing. You can always tie smaller but you cannot add more at the party. I suggest making them big enough to fit everyone.
4. Hold the tulle in your hand and fold it in half making sure the ends match up.
5. Bend the loop over the ribbon and pull the rest of the tulle through the hole (see photos below for clarification)
6. Tighten and space according to your desires.
7. Dance, twirl, enjoy, and be fancy in your DIY Party Tutus!
WHAT FUN THINGS HAVE YOU DONE AT A BACHELORETTE PARTY?