LOCATION: Rock Ledge Ranch Harvest Festival
Today is World Sight Day and I am excited and honored to partner with TOMS to bring awareness and #GiveSight! I’ve loved TOMS since I first heard of them when I was in college. I remember saving up to buy my first pair of TOMS (I got the burlap kind) and loved knowing that the pair I bought was actually two pairs – one going to a kid without shoes. I loved the idea of my purchases making a difference. Up until this point, I thought of my shopping and my giving as separate actions but hearing the heart behind TOMS in a chapel service at John Brown University, I started to realize that where I shopped, how I shopped, and what I supported mattered more than I realized. I could give to great organizations and then I could also support great organizations by my purchases.
Over the years TOMS has grown and has continued to be a brand that I love supporting – providing even more One for One® opportunities! Remember when they started selling bags back in May providing safe births for moms & babies? And when their eyewear launched in 2011 and has since helped restore sight to over 275,000 people in need?!
- 285 million people are blind or visually impaired, 80% of them don’t have to be.
- 2/3 of people who are blind are female, partly because in developing countries women have reduced access to services and inability to pay.
- 80% of what we learn is through sight–this means that the 19 million children who suffer from blindness or visual impairment have difficulty succeeding in school.
- Not only does a purchase help restore sight, it supports sustainable community-based eye care programs, the creation of professional jobs (often for young women) and helps provide basic eye care training to local health volunteers and teachers!!
- TOMS gives sight in 13 countries, providing prescription glasses, medical treatment and/or sight-saving surgery with each purchase of eyewear.
With every pair of eyewear you purchase, TOMS will help give sight to a person in need. One for One®. That is something I am proud to get behind and something I am excited to cerebrate today! Will you join me in making your purchases matter? Grab some eyewear today to support World Sight Day or pick up a pair of adorable boots because they are still One for One® too. And pick out a pumpkin, because it is October!