Before you opened this post you thought it was going to be about Frozen. I don’t blame you, I was singing the song the entire time I was writing this post. I may have even watched it while working on this because I OWN IT ON BLU-RAY!! But this post is more than a great song, that you cannot help but sing at the top of your lungs – it is about you and me. and those things that we just need to let go.
Spring cleaning is great! Sometimes it is gross, intimidating, ignored, dreaded, heavy, overwhelming, (insert your emotion here) but when you are on the other side of it, it just feels so good! We are more free – am I right? There is something cathartic of downsizing, cleaning, minimizing. We suddenly see the kids have more room to play, the kitchen is more welcoming, and our bedroom is refreshing. Letting go (as hard as it is sometimes) allows us to breathe.
When I first started this post it was just going to be on the “10 ways to help you clean out your closet,” and that is important (& I’ll even still add some of that to this post) but when I was reading in Matthew this morning I was struck by how letting go is so much bigger than what I want to get rid of. Sometimes the Lord asks for more. In big capital letters I wrote down: WHAT DO I NEED TO LET GO OF?
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.” – Matthew 16:24 & 25
To me this verse says “LET IT GO!” If you want to follow me you must let go. As followers of Christ we must daily be examining our lives – cleaning out our hearts, minds, homes, closets. Sharing possessions and talents. Throwing away trash and sinful habits. Some is easier than others but we are called to live with open hands – to LET IT GO.
When you look into your heart to let things go, there are two piles: trash it & share it. If it is not worth sharing, it needs to be trashed! Sorting these piles is not always easy so here are some tips!
- Spend time in prayer
- Have daily quiet times so that your heart knows the things of the Lord
- Practice forgiveness
- Let go of pride
- Confess when you mess up
- Own your “junk”
- Ask God to reveal to you your talents and gifting
- Use your talents to help a friend
- Write a letter
- Give a hug
As with our hearts there are two piles. Thoughts and dreams that are of the Lord and those that our not. It seems funny to think about what we think about (that is like inception style) but our thoughts mold our heart and attitudes which reflect the way we live. We must honor Him in everything and be willing to let go of whatever He calls us to!
- ead Phil 4:8 and meditate on that verse
- Bring your dreams before the Lord
- Pray about your goals and dreams
- Act on the dreams and passions the Lord has given you
- Be aware of when your mind is consumed with bitterness, fear, anxiety and turn to the Lord for help
Just like our spiritual life, our physical life has two piles, give it away and share it (maybe trash it if you have some gross things!) The give it away pile is where we place everything we don’t need, love, or want that is cluttering up our lives. We can donate them, turn them into a consignment store, or give them to a friend. But the idea is that you get ride of the extra while treating the rest with open hands – able to let go if asked to do so. Here are some tips on going through your closet:
- Let go of clothes you cannot remember the last time you wore
- Let go of things that don’t fit (too small or too big)
- Let go of items that don’t make you feel wonderful
- Request a free bag and send in clothes (for free) to Thredup & se the credit to buy something new later.
- Collect all your maternity clothes and give to a local pregnancy center
- Go through your kids clothes with them and have them help drop them off at a donation center
What is the Lord asking you to let go of? What clutter do you need to spring clean this season?